- Business - MB92 acquires majority stake in Compositeworks

By SuperyachtNews

MB92 acquires majority stake in Compositeworks

A formal plan was signed by both parties on 31 October in Barcelona…

Following the initial announcement of the intended partnership during the Monaco Yacht Show, Marina Barcelona 92 (MB92) has now confirmed its acquisition of a 75 per cent stake in Compositeworks. The remaining 25 per cent of the company will stay in the hands of current shareholders.

A formal plan was signed by both parties on 31 October in Barcelona. As previously discussed, Compositeworks will continue under the current management of Benjamin Mennem as president, alongside his operational and technical team.

The union, however, will see MB92 and Compositeworks work together to take full advantage of the La Ciotat facilities in order to attract high quality projects and further develop the service offering to clients. This includes, of course, the cooperation of Blohm+Voss La Ciotat; the 200m dry dock currently operated under MB92’s management.

MB92, whose majority shares are owned by D-Marin Investments Holding BV, a subsidiary of Dogus Group, has previously been forthright about its intentions to expand operations outside of Barcelona with the aim of enhancing efficiency and providing flexibility to clients. This recent news shows a clear objective to develop La Ciotat as a leading refit and repair centre.

“This is not only due to its location but also the immense industrial possibilities based there,” explains CEO Pepe García-Aubert. “Through working closely with all La Ciotat Shipyards (SEMIDEP), we are absolutely convinced that in just a few years we will consolidate La Ciotat as a global reference point for excellence.”

For Compositeworks, while nothing will change with regards to day-to-day operations, the long-term objective is also efficiency. Speaking exclusively to SuperyachtNews during the Monaco Yacht Show, Compositeworks’ Rob Papworth explained that the two companies are complementary, with slightly different approaches and that, overall, this acquisition would allow them to support each other in what is a tier-one refit offering.

"We believe in the refit market, but to increase our market share the next step was an acquisition,” said Papworth. “MB92 are the closest fit in terms of quality.” The combined forces of both companies will aim to solve any capacity issues between the two, precisely because they share such high standards. 

“The market is growing and we are optimistic for the future,” added Mennem. “Dogus have done their homework and they clearly recognise it’s a good sector.”

Profile links

MB92 Barcelona

MB92 La Ciotat


La Ciotat Shipyards

Join the discussion

MB92 acquires majority stake in Compositeworks


To post comments please Sign in or Register

When commenting please follow our house rules

Click here to become part of The Superyacht Group community, and join us in our mission to make this industry accessible to all, and prosperous for the long-term. We are offering access to the superyacht industry‚Äôs most comprehensive and longstanding archive of business-critical information, as well as a comprehensive, real-time superyacht fleet database, for just £10 per month, because we are One Industry with One Mission. Sign up here.

Related news

Image for Is refit quite literally value added?

Is refit quite literally value added?

Does a €5 million refit on a €20 million boat make it a €25 million boat?


Related news

Sign up to the SuperyachtNews Bulletin

Receive unrivalled market intelligence, weekly headlines and the most relevant and insightful journalism directly to your inbox.

The SuperyachtNews App

Follow us on