China’s commercial property and entertainment conglomerate, Dalian Wanda Group, has announced the completion of its acquisition of British yachtbuilder, Sunseeker International.
According to the announcement, the deal has a total investment value of £320 million, with Wanda holding a 91.81 per cent majority stake in the luxury motor yacht manufacturer, and the remaining 8.19 per cent retained by Sunseeker management. contacted Sunseeker for comment on the acquisition, but as yet the company was not able to confirm the deal has gone through.

“As far as we are aware completion hasn’t happened,” said PR for Sunseeker, Gemma Marsh. “We’re hoping it happens very soon, and it may well be that that is today, but we haven’t had that notice yet so there’s nothing to say at the moment.”

 Sunseeker will be exhibiting its largest model to date, the 40m (pictured)

From Wanda’s side, the announcement is merely the formal conclusion of its June statement, which said completion of the deal would occur by the end of August.

Wanda Chairman, Wang Jianlin – who this month was named China’s wealthiest person by Bloomberg Billionaires Index – has commented, “We are excited to embark on the next chapter in the development of Sunseeker’s business and look forward to building upon the company’s reputation of excellence.

"Wanda is well positioned to help Sunseeker capitalise on the trend we see for China and other growth markets to contribute significantly to the global expansion in the luxury yacht sector over the next few years.”

Wanda chairman, Wang Jianlin

Profile links

Sunseeker International Ltd

If you've found this story to be 'a report worth reading', and you would like to enjoy access to even more articles, insight and information from The Superyacht Group, then you may well be interested in our VIP print subscription offer. We are inviting industry VIPs to register for a complimentary subscription to our print portfolio, which includes the most insightful information on the state of the superyacht market. To see if you qualify for our VIP subscription package, please click here to fill in an application form